I suggest you ...

Power saver feature

It would work like this.
If your phone is locked it would check for a new tweet in the background as usual until there is a new tweet. If there is a new tweet it will stop connecting and asking for a new tweet until user unlock the phone as there is no reason to check for new tweets constantly until the last new tweet is not read.

It should be per account configurable.

228 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    zvakzvak shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • muffymeistermuffymeister commented  · 

just wondering if this feature got added yet? cant seem to find it on the betas (ive got version 1.61 build 6816)

• BennyBenny commented  · 

Very good idea

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

A power saver feature definitely sounds great, as currently it draws the battery a lot.
        But I think the foreground / background option sounds a bit problematic in some cases.
        I'd still like to be notified when I get a new tweet even if it's in background.

Why not have gravity simply disconnect between tweet checks ?
        Just like the email app does for example ?

If you set it to update every 5 minutes, it connects, updates, then disconnects until the next check ?

• AnthroxAnthrox commented  · 

I would just like after x mins just close Gravity so if i forget to close Gravity after 10mins or so it just exits the app after inactive use

• CougarCougar commented  · 

I also miss screen updates when keylock is active. Especially it is confusing that clock is also visible but halted.

• PhilburneBPhilburneB commented  · 

sounds cool but i would want the option to choose to activate/deactivate it

• Janaka PereraJanaka Perera commented  · 

This is going to be a useful feature but I would like if this can make configurable(Enable/Disabled) by the user. Reason is, I usually check the phone when i hear the new tweet alert sound. One thing that can be done is, if the phone is locked and if the user have not unlocked or switched to gravity after the last new tweet, Gravity can alert the user without updating new tweets after each update interval.

• Artem MarchenkoArtem Marchenko commented  · 

When implementing this feature, it would be great if it could be easy to understand whether Gravity is online or offline. Even right now (version 1.21 that is without power saving?) I often find Gravity offline (maybe my wi-fi network isn't very stable) without knowing that it is offline.

It would be great if you could display some kind of connection status icon on the top right, next to the column title. There could be several icons possible. E.g. "online", "offline", "power saving (i.e. online right now, but will go online once something happens, e.g. once per hour)", etc.

• jonathanjamesjonathanjames commented  · 

This sounds like a good idea, but would it not be easier to create an action where the connection to 3G/Wifi will disconnect after a set time (auto/manual) so users will be able to priorities what they want, i.e. Timed check for new tweets and Save battery.

Using this work around, i think it will also achieve other 'request' and could cut down what needs to be done. Just like what Andrew Holmes said, certain things like wifi disconnecting would safe power, but can also achieve what others want in Gravity.

My 2 cents. But keep up the great work guys! :)

• Artem MarchenkoArtem Marchenko commented  · 

I am not sure I like exactly the proposed algorithm, but some kind of power saving would certainly be nice. I don't need to check for new tweets every 10 mins during the night.

• zvakzvak commented  · 

Yes, I also think that options would be overcrowded. Don't forget that 5th edition doesn't have screen saver option, only standard black out screen :) It can be set maybe as an timeout option for example to activate power settings after not touching the phone for 5 or 10 minutes because if screen saver activates after 1 minute it would unnecessary disconnect and reconnect really quickly that could lead to even more battery and data drain.

It should definitely have an intelligent algorithm for saving power and data.

• Jan Ole SuhrAdminJan Ole Suhr (Admin, Gravity) commented  · 

Thanks for the great ideas! I like the foreground/background trigger very much.

So Gravity could disconnect right when sent to the background ( which would include the screen saver coming up ) and reconnect when switched back to the foreground.

Having separate auto-update settings for background/foreground or active/inactive mode sounds good, but wouldn't the settings get "overcrowded" with it?

• Andrew HolmesAndrew Holmes commented  · 

This is a good idea, but perhaps it could be handled with two different auto-update settings per account/search.
        "Auto-Update when Active" where the user could set refresh times when Gravity is active or the phone is unlocked.
        "Auto-Update when locked" where the user could set refresh times when the phone is locked. I would use this to set the main time line to never refresh, but have my directs/replies/mentions/searches update less frequently than when gravity is active. Also possibly have gravity auto disconnect/connect when the phone is locked. I imagine that disconnecting wifi would save some power.

• zvakzvak commented  · 

Just to add something to my description. It could also be called 'Power and data saver feature' because it will not constantly pull data over the network and thus save costs of data transfer if user doesn't have flat rate over 3G for example.

One more remark is that app could have the same power and data feature if it is in the background and pull data if it is brought to front.

Feedback and Knowledge Base